Tuesday, April 7, 2009

A Bottle of Electrically Conductive Media

My doctor told me that I needed to bring powdered Gatoraide on the trail in order to replenish my electrolytes. I said "Oh, of COURSE, I will replenish my electrolytes. What would I do without them? I won't let them get away!" Of course, I was thinking that electrolytes were some sort of crystaline structure within my brain that increased my chances of gaining telepathic abilitites later in life. But, just in case, I decided to double check what they were anyway. I was close, kinda.

Scientifically speaking, an electrolyte is any substance containing free ions that behaves as an electrically conductive medium.

Turns out electrolyte drinks must contain sodium and potassium salts. They are used to replenish the body's water and electrolyte levels after intense excersize or dehydration caused by diarrhea, vomiting, intoxication, and starving - all states I anticipate experiencing on the trail. Also turns out that I could concoct my own oral rehydration therapy system by mixing correct proportions of sugar, salt, and water. But, I'd rather let Gatoraide do it for me with their "Ultimate Ice Warrior" and "Super Mega Explosion Muscle Craze" flavors.

Doctors recommend drinking sports drinks if you are anticipating engaging in extreme exercising conditions over 5 or 6 hours (like climbing up huge mountains all day). If some sort of sports drink isn't embibed, one runs the risk of hyponatremia. WHAT! That is possible? Yes. It is an electrolyte disturbance of the blood which lowers sodium levels to an extreme and can make your brain swell and explode. Don't want that! So, we'll be taking powdered Gatoraide to sprinkle in our freshly UV filtered water...

No comments:

Post a Comment