Friday, September 23, 2011

George Washington State Forest, Signal Knob

This post should be before the last one, as the last tenacious laurel blooms attest. Better late than never! A circuit hike on Massanutten Mountain, Virginia in George Washington National Forest was a perfect way to soak in one of the last remaining true summer days. George Washington National Forest During the Civil War, a charcoal-blast iron furnace at the base of Signal Knob, supplied pig iron to Richmond. Signal Knob was used as a Confederate lookout to monitor Federal troop movements in Shenandoah Valley. Signals relayed along the ridges sometimes reached as far as Richmond. Pretty rocky trail but plenty of Civil War ghosts to keep me company!






1 comment:

  1. Good articles, Have you heard of Mr Benjamin, Email: 247officedept@gmail.com --WhatsApp Contact:+1-9893943740-- who work with funding service they grant me loan of $95,000.00 to launch my business and I have been paying them annually for two years now and I still have 2 years left although I enjoy working with them because they are genuine Loan lender who can give you any kind of loan.

    ReplyDelete