Sunday, June 20, 2010

Union Mills

I found peace close to Westminster in rural northern Carroll County this weekend. While slogging over creeks, steep switchbacks and upland forests, I felt solitude creep over me slowly. After wading through creeks, streams and bogs I entered the present, but only after I started sweating like a penguin in the Grand Canyon.










Sweet Cicely, Osmorhiza claytoni. "Before the days of mass-produced candy, the roots of Sweet Cicely, which resembled carrots, were a favorite treat among country people, when chewed, the roots released a refreshing licorice-like flavor." Wildflowers of the Appalachian Trail by Leonard Adkins.

Yes ladies and gentlemen, Union Mills was a scorching hike, lined with wasteside wildflowers, horses and yodelling mountain bikers. But, I didn't give a damn. I got to check out a grist mill and a Bollman-design bridge. Did you get to do that this weekend? I'd be 100 bucks not. What the heck is a Bollman-design bridge anyway? Union Mill house was built in 1797 by Andrew and David Shriver and has been continually occupied by the family. The mill itself, also built in 1797, is a large brick structure, built of locally manufactured brick. "On June 30, 1863, General J.E.B. Stuart of the Confederate Army of Northern Virginia camped at Union Mills and was hosted by part of the Shriver family. On the following day Union troops arrived. General James Barnes of the 5th Corps of the Army of the Potomac arrived on the site and welcomed and entertained by other members of the family" - Union mill website, National Register of Historic Places. Most of the men from both sides died at Gettysburg the next day.




Milkweed for monarch babies.



Saw this little man while I was eating peanuts. HE crept very close but ran away right before I was able to pet him - probably very used to people.

No comments:

Post a Comment